Testing methods & recommendations
FEFCO developed a set of testing methods and recommendations to support its members and to create a common basis for communication between corrugated manufacturers and their customers.
FEFCO Testing methods
FEFCO testing methods are developed by the industry and follow internationally recognized principles.
List of testing methods for corrugated board:
List of testing methods for corrugated packaging:
FEFCO Testing methodology for printed corrugated board in food contact
At EU level the general requirements for all food contact materials set out in the Framework Regulation (EC) 1935/2004, and in Regulation (EC) 2023/2006 on good manufacturing practice for materials and articles intended to come into contact with food are applied to paper and board, including corrugated board. There is no specific EU measure which regulates food contact paper and board. To close this gap FEFCO developed a methodology for compliance testing of printed corrugated board used in food applications. The methodology proposes a two-step approach combining an officially approved simulant for paper and board in food contact and testing with real food as a confirmation. The purpose of the document is to give a usable methodology tool to the corrugated producers and their suppliers when evaluating compliance with the EU legislation. FEFCO Testing methodology for printed corrugated board in food contact.
The FEFCO Recommendations are supplementary to the internationally recognised FEFCO Testing methods. The list of recommendations contains:
- Number 101: Procedure for determining the internal dimensions of the flap type or one piece corrugated board cases.
- Number 102: Determination of the take-up factor of the fluting paper.
- Number 104: Procedure for the determination of the angle of slip for corrugated board.
- Number 105: Guidelines for the introduction and use of the SI System in the corrugated board industry.
- Number 107: Calculation of the critical difference between measurements from repeatability and from reproducibility along ISO 5725.
- Number 110: Determination of the wrap factor of corrugated board articles